Preparing to Report a Workers’ Compensation Claim
The employee’s health and wellbeing are a priority. Before starting the reporting process, ensure that the employee obtains prompt and appropriate medical care as referenced under Employee Guidance.
Preparation is the key to successfully reporting a claim. Timely and accurate reporting of the circumstance related to the alleged injury or illness are critical to the overall claims process.
The First Report of Injury (FROI) is the employers reporting of the facts and will be filed with the Maryland Workers Compensation Commission by the CorVel claims professional. As you prepare to report the claim be prepared to provide:
• A detailed description of what and how the incident happened.
• Were there witnesses? If so, who are they and their contact information?
• Complete name (include middle initial, Jr., Sr., etc.) of the employee
• Home address, city, state, zip code, county, and telephone number
• Date of birth and social security number
• Date of hire, job title, full time/part time, wage information
• Union affiliation
• Name and address of the supervisor overseeing the employee
• Date, time, location, and nature of the injury (be specific)
• If medical treatment was necessary, where did the employee treat? Were they transported by ambulance?
• Type of safeguards or safety equipment provided. If not provided, why not. If used, could the injury have been prevented?